Finding a proper knife to start your obsession feels great. A good knife can make a chef’s life so much better than usual in the kitchen. The knife should give you the impression that it’s an extension of your forearm. A random knife from a shopping a mall won’t do that job. That’s why we have reviewed the best chef knives.
In terms of sharpness and efficiency, dedicated chef knives are way better. The ‘average’ knives won’t cut it. But you have to spend a little extra than average to get the quality you desire. It doesn’t mean you should pay an astronomical price for the best knife. It’s just in between.
Speaking of chef knives, We’ve come across a myriad of amazing quality chef knives that worth the money and chef has to look before purchasing a knife. These fit very well for full-time chefs and amateur cooks.
Top 5 Best Chef Knives Reviews
|Victorinox Fibrox||Western||Tempered Stainless steel||Thermoplastic elastomer (TPE)|
|Shun DM0706 Classic||Japanese||High-carbon stainless steel||D-shaped handle|
|Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S||Western||High carbon NO STAIN steel||Three-rivet handle|
|Global G-2||Western||Molybdenum-vanadium stainless steel||Molded Stainless-steel handle|
|Wusthof Grand Prix II||Western||High-carbon, stain-resistant steel||Slip resistant synthetic handle|
|ZELITE INFINITY Alpha-Royal Series||Japanese||Japanese VG10 Super Steel 67-layer Damascus||Triple riveted rounded handle|
|Tojiro DP Gyutou||Japanese||Stain resistant steel||Synthetic Handle|
We’ve included western as well as japanese style chef knife. For more Japanese style specific, see here. Let’s go to the chef knife reviews
Its the cheap and best budget chef knife available on market, that’s only you don’t want to go further down and get the cheapest and quality kiwi knife to cut the cost even further. It’s more like an all in one, no expert go-to knife for home cook and for chefs on a super tight budget. because it’s ergonomically designed, it fits in most chef’s hands.
The handles steel is also hidden, so the balance is more towards the blade. It doesn’t have an actual bolster, but you can see a look-alike on the handle. This protects the hand and at the same time can hold the knife to the blade. The handle is made of plastic for easy cleaning and its dishwasher safe. Don’t expect it to perform like the bigger brothers when it comes to cutting techniques but its good for most people out there looking for a quality knife.
- The cheapest bang for buck
- Not too light nor too heavy
- Easy maintenance
- Dishwasher safe
- Good for home cooks
- Odd angle of the handle
- It’s more brittle
- Needs too frequent sharpening
- not the best for cutting techniques
The Shun DM0706 Classic is a professional grade knife made from VG-10 stainless steel clad with 32 layers of extremely hard carbon stainless steel. This 8-inch chef’s knife measures 12 by 2 inches, and it’s very sharp. So does it makes cutting and chopping enjoyable in the kitchen. It glides effortlessly through veggies and meats like a breeze. Its very well known among chefs. Its one of their recommended choice if you are looking for a hard and sharp knife.
This knife is master crafted from top to bottom. As we hinted earlier, it works well. Made from fine steel, the material on this chef knife is also second to none. The best part is that the knife stays sharp and shiny for several years and beyond if you upkeep it well. The day the knife arrives at your doorsteps, it comes with an unmatched lifetime warranty, which is really hard to beat in today’s age and time of poor-quality knife. All the specs aside; the Shun DM0706 Classic is also splendid to look at from a customer pov. Even if you are not a chef, others will look at you like a five-star chef if you carry one.
- The Shun DM0706 Classic chef knife is lighter than most of the high-end German knives out there. Now, do not make the mistake of confusing ‘lightweight’ with ‘flimsy’ parts.
- The D-shaped handle really does its intended job very well by offering unmatched control and comfort. Simply put, the knife balances beautifully in a user’s hands.
- Given the smart built, you will be able to use this knife for chopping, cutting, slicing without causing hand fatigue. Not to forget the fact that it’s a great knife to use or show off.
- This knife is fearsomely good and not dull like other chef knives out there. If you love to cook, you should get the Shun DM0706 Classic chef knife without any second-guesses.
- The Bolster is ergonomically designed
- Handle of this knife is shaped for right-hand use. As a result, a minority of the left-handed guys out there may not find it to be a suitable item for them.
- Although the knife is dishwasher safe, you shouldn’t put the knife in a dishwasher because it might screw the edges of the knife in the long run. With hand wash, the edges won’t rust.
After neck-deep research, we found out that this is another gem for chefs, its an extremely versatile knife can handle any cutting, chopping, or slicing job with great ease. Unlike the rivals, this is a SIGMAFORGE chef knife, which means that it’s constructed from a single piece of high-quality steel for precision cutting. Not to undermine the fact that this knife has crazy sharpness to it.
The knife makes cuts with far less efforts than regular chef knives. So, all you must do is watch out for your fingers because carelessness may cause the kitchen catastrophe.
The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S chef’s knife has an edge angle profile of 15 degrees on each side, which makes it last longer than other knives with 12.5- or 10-degree angle.
Also, the knife has scored very well in the Rockwell hardness rating. For those who don’t know, the Rockwell test is to determine the hardness of a material. The rating of 57 indicates that the steel used in the making of this chef knife is hard and durable. The quality of this knife is superb.
- The handle on this 8-inch black knife is comfortable to use. This beauty fits well in small as well as large hands. It’s designed in such a way that even a beginner can use the knife effortlessly without any hiccups.
- Manufactured in Germany, the makers of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro S Chef’s Knife haven’t compromised on the quality. They worth.
- The knife has great edges and balance to it. we are saying this again but it’s a treat to use a knife of this quality.
- The bolster adds weight to the knife and act as a guard.
- it does not come with a case. Also, this chef knife is not for the budget shoppers out there. The asking price is a tad bit higher.
If you are not able to understand why people spend so much money on good knives, you owe it to yourself to meet the Global G-2. It’s a non-conventional unique knife that is light, well-balanced, and a nice contemporary design.
The Handle and blade are fused together. Given its sharpness, it will definitely speed up your time in the kitchen. its a multi suited universal knife that can be used for any home cook as well. It can easily handle easy, medium, and heavy-duty kitchen work like a champ.
The Global G-2 Knife is surprisingly light for its sturdy built. And, the makers have used high-tech molybdenum-vanadium stainless steel on the blade. You might feel like a kitchen-ninja with this knife in your hand. Chopping and cutting with this knife is a lot of fun especially when you switch from a relatively dull knife to something as sharp as this one. its worth to note that global dropped the bolster.
- The knife has a nice grip and solid edges to it. And, it arrives razor sharp from the factory. The knife can literally cut through anything you throw. it can solve all your cutting problems if you used a compatible cutting board along with.
- Given the specs of the knife, the price is worth the asking price. Its well In terms of sharpness, durability and overall performance. The makers can easily increase the price more and it’s still worth the money
- Unlike the competition, this knife doesn’t lose its edges very soon. Because of the well-maintained edges, extra pressure from the chef’s end is not required.
- The knife has received praise from all over the global chefs and amazing reviews. Not only does this knife cuts like a dream, but it also shows itself off when people come over to see your kitchen.
- Its worth it in the long run, and will pay for itself in the long run because you won’t feel the need to replace the knife more often.
- Global G-2 unconventional design is not liked by a few.
When you have the Grand Prix II by your side, everything cuts like butter. From soft to hard objects, nothing seems like a challenge to this knife. It cuts through everything like a charm. Every minute you get to use this knife, it feels superb. That’s why this chef knife has been a great hit with the masses and popular among experienced geezers. Once you lay your hands on this cook’s knife, you will not settle for anything else.
This is a serious culinary tool that’s well-forged from top to bottom. We don’t recommend it for amateur cooks.
The Wusthof Grand Prix II Knife has great German craftsmanship written all over its body. Made from excellent steel, this thing has serious sharpness to it. It’s sharp, durable and well-balanced. It chops just about any food item out there with great ease. As long as you don’t throw this knife in the dishwasher, it will last you a long time.
Of course, we are not saying you will be able to pass it on to the next generation, but the knife will give you the money’s worth and a little bit more. The best part is that the purchase of this knife comes with a superb lifetime warranty.
- The Wusthof Grand Prix II Cook’s Knife has a splendid modern style to it. The shine and finishing on this knife are top-notch. Not to undermine the fact that this knife is going to stay useful for many years to come.
- Unlike other knives in the same price spectrum, this knife maintains its superior sharpness for a long time. For its sharpness, it can actually be deemed as a dangerous product. So, one needs to be careful during use. That’s why we said its the best for experienced.
- World class. The difference between this knife and other cheap ones is like night and day. This knife proves that it’s worth saving a little every month to get a high-quality knife of this standard.
- Wusthof Grand Prix II is a tad bit heavier than its rivals, but this thing is a real workhorse. Therefore, this minor tussle should not be a dealbreaker.
- There’s Wusthof Classic in the same price category
- Availability is very low.
- Sharpening is a bit difficult because of bolster
It’s a newcomer. not yet famous but increasing popularity among chefs. The ZELITE INFINITY Chef Knife won’t turn you into a master chef, but it will do everything else it’s supposed to do. The weight of this chef knife itself should suffice to cut softer objects such as tomatoes or potatoes. Simply put, this knife personifies professional sharpening at its best.
Given its performance, it will end up being your primary kitchen knife for years to come. The company has really hit it out of the park with this high-quality Japanese knife that’s made with 67 layers of high carbon stainless steel.
The ZELITE INFINITY Chef Knife is built to be ruthlessly sharp on purpose to save you a lot of prep time in the kitchen. And, it’s strikingly beautiful for a kitchen knife. Moreover, this product arrives inside a lovely gift box. Yeah, you can gift it! The buck doesn’t end here! To increase the value and to boost confidence, the makers also offer a 100% money return policy on the purchase of this knife. Therefore, so you can try it out without any fear
- It’s an amazing kitchen utility tool that can put its rivals in trouble. Once you hold this chef knife in your hand, you will be able to tell that the makers have put a lot of attention to the details.
- The rounded fiberglass handle on this knife is extremely comfortable to hold. Of course, the real pleasure comes from using this knife, it’s a breeze
- It’s a pleasure to hold, use, and look at this knife. Its balance is at the bolster
- This knife doesn’t really have any drawback other than the silly writing on the back on the knife, which is a bit of a let-down for those who want to show off.
Its the no brainer and popular choice among all chefs. Its named different in japan. they call it Fujitora DP there. We have already recommended the Tojiro set in our best knife sets. It’s inexpensive and suitable for everybody except the super pro who wants the best of the best like the infamous Masamoto KS Gyuto which is hard to obtain.
Its a double bevel knife. The handle material is composite wood. You should never put this in a dishwasher. And make sure you are using a proper cutting surface. There’s no bolster, so use safely and properly maintain your exotic knife. Make sure to wipe it dry. And for sharpening you can you wet stones as it gets dull very fast. And also don’t drop it. It may not survive four feet fall. Its easily serviceable though.
And speaking of price, its steadily increasing as we speak. Still its the best budget chef knife geezers recommend if you want a japanese style knife.
Chef’s Pick & Honorable mention
These are are the best picks out there on the market today. Usually, the chef’s won’t stick to just one knife. Some do have an arsenal of knives for a different purpose. Some just want to try something different. Pick a knife that suits your style and upgrade only if necessary.