Ramen is a staple food in Japan, but it is also becoming a popular dish in other countries such as the United States.
Instant Ramen is a quick and easy meal to make, but it’s not always as tasty or healthy.
Successfully whipping up a bowl of instant ramen takes not only culinary skill, but also understanding of the cooking instructions on the package.
Luckily for those who have neither inclination nor aptitude for cooking ramen noodles, there are plenty of hacks that can make this meal more delicious or more nutritious.
The following are 10 hacks that require little to no culinary skill and can be applied to almost any brand of instant ramen noodles.
10 Ways to Upgrade Your Instant Ramen Experience
1. Add fresh vegetables and meat for a hearty meal
It’s easy to turn your instant ramen into a full meal by adding vegetables while the noodles are cooking. Choose whatever vegetables you want – broccoli, carrots, peas, spinach – and cook them along with the noodles for optimal taste and nutrition.
The first thing you need to do is cut them up into small pieces. Then, you need to add salt and pepper and some olive oil or butter in order for the vegetables not to stick together or burn on the pan.
You can also try cooking them in sauces like tomato sauce or pasta sauce with some garlic and onion mixed in it for added flavour. You could also add fresh herbs like thyme, parsley, oregano, basil or rosemary if you want your dish to have an extra kick of flavour!
2. Sprinkle on some veggies such as chopped cabbage, spinach, or carrots
Placing some veggies, namely the chopped cabbage, spinach and carrots ensures that your content isn’t bland or forgettable.
3. Use your favorite seasoning blend
Some people like their food bland. Some people like spicy foods that make them sweat and their mouth burn. Others like a little bit of everything in between. Me, I’m a wimp. I want my food to taste good but not too much or too little. That’s why my favorite seasoning blend is salt and pepper mixed together just right. It takes the flavor from being plain-jane to being just right for me!
4. Grated cheese is an easy way to create flavor and texture without adding extra fat or calories
Grated cheese is an easy way to add flavor and texture to any dish. It’s an easy way to create a creamy texture without adding extra fat or calories.
Grated cheese is something many people already have in their fridge. It’s also something that we all know how to use, and it is incredibly versatile. Grated cheese can be used in everything from macaroni and cheese to pizza, pasta dishes, soups, salads, casseroles and so much more!
I encourage you to try grated cheese the next time you are cooking Ramen because I know you will love it!
5. Lightly fry the noodles in oil before adding in the water for a crispy noodle texture
The noodles need to be fried in oil to make them crispy before adding them into the boiling water. The crispier the noodles, the better the texture of the dish.
1) Start by frying your noodles in a wok with hot oil. This will allow your noodles to become crispy and have a better texture than if you just boiled them in water.
2) Heat up some oil over a stove top and then add your noodles to it one at a time with tongs or chopsticks. Fry each noodle until it becomes crisp, then remove from heat and set it on paper towel or nearby plate.
3) Add enough water to cover up all of the fried noodles before boiling for 10 minutes at high pressure.
6. Cook in room temperature water for less waiting time from boiling to eating, and longer shelf life at home (note that this might increase sodium content)
Cooking at room temperature is a great way to save time in the kitchen. It also saves energy by not requiring the stove to work as hard.
This type of cooking is especially convenient for people that live in apartments or dorm rooms, where their kitchens are usually small and have limited space.
One study found that taking rice from boiling to ready-to-eat took only two minutes with room temperature water instead of five minutes with boiling water.
7. Substitute egg noodles with spaghetti or udon if you’re feeling adventurous
There are many options for substitutes. These noodles are just two that you can add to your meal for a change of palate.
If you’re looking for a change of pace with your noodle dishes, there are plenty of alternatives to the standard egg noodles. These two, spaghetti and udon, are just a few of the options available.
8. Spice up your sauce
The sauce packet that comes with your instant ramen is a great start, but it’s fun to experiment! Add spices like cumin and chili powder for an Indian-inspired flavor. Add soy sauce and sriracha for an Asian flair.
9. Use less water
Instant Ramen noodles have more flavor than regular pasta, so they can handle being cooked in much less water. Ramen noodles have a lot of flavor so you can get away with using less water to cook them. Just use one cup of water per package of noodles!
10. Adding raw eggs to your instant ramen will increase its nutritional value and improve its taste
The next time you’re in a rush and need to eat, have some instant ramen noodles before you head out the door. But don’t just stop there–add some raw eggs and cook them in the broth to make your very own ramen egg drop soup.
That’s it! these are the best instant ramen hacks that you can try at home